March 2, 2011 •
Here is your chance to “Ask the Experts” at State and Federal Communications, Inc.
Q: Now that Illinois has semi-monthly reporting, are there any changes to the contents of the report?
A: As of January 1, 2011, Illinois requires disclosure reports to be submitted on the fifth and 20th of each month. This new schedule began on January 20, 2011. The Secretary of State’s Office issued a 2011 Expenditure Report Filing Guide concerning how to disclose reportable activity on the Activity Detail Report. This guide contains some changes for client or lobbying entity reporting.
Individual expenditures made on behalf of covered officials must be itemized with expanded information. Lobbying entity reports must itemize for each individual expenditure or transaction:
- The name of the official for whose benefit each expenditure was made;
- The name of the client on whose behalf the expenditure was made;
- Whether the expenditure was made on behalf of a client;
- The total amount of the expenditure;
- A description of the expenditure;
- The vendor or purveyor to whom the expenditure was made;
- The address and location of the expenditure if the expenditure was for an intangible item such as lodging;
- The date on which the expenditure occurred; and
- The subject matter of the lobbying activity, if any.
As in previous years, the expenditure reports must also include reporting of lobbying activity that is unrelated to an itemized expenditure. This requirement is satisfied by identifying:
State and Federal Communications, Inc. provides research and consulting services for government relations professionals on lobbying laws, procurement lobbying laws, political contribution laws in the United States and Canada. Learn more by visiting stateandfed.com.