September 28, 2012 •
Colorado Amends Rules Concerning Lobbyist Registration
The secretary of state has issued amended rules regarding lobbyist registration.
The substantive changes include:
- Elimination of the requirement that the secretary of state provide notice and an opportunity to respond to lobbyists under investigation for violations of Colorado’s sunshine law;
- Providing that the secretary of state may admonish a lobbyist for failure to pay penalties within 45 days of assessment, as opposed to the previous rule of 90 days;
- Providing that the secretary of state will send a penalty to collections if a lobbyist or lobbyist firm fails to pay the penalty within 90 days;
- Amending the requirement that pertains to reporting of gifts to clarify that lobbyists are prohibited from giving gifts of any kind to covered officials; and
- Establishing definitions of rate and standard as those terms pertain to state agencies with rulemaking authority.
These rules will take effect 20 days after publication in the Colorado Register.
State and Federal Communications, Inc. provides research and consulting services for government relations professionals on lobbying laws, procurement lobbying laws, political contribution laws in the United States and Canada. Learn more by visiting stateandfed.com.