March 1, 2018 •
We Have Done the Research
When we ended our three-ring, three volume publication—about 10 years ago—we had paper everywhere and Kinko’s was our best friend. Trust me, the Kinko’s in Fairlawn, Ohio had to have been the highest ranked store in the country with the amount of work we sent to the 24/7 shop.
Now, everything is on our website, www.stateandfed.com, and though we have far less paper and FedEx (formerly Kinko’s) is still in business but not really printing our updates; we have info…a lot of it.
I met with Research Manager Michael Beckett—as I do every year—to review what we included on our website and what is planned for the next year. Here is a brief list of items included to improve your ability to search for information:
- Added question regarding gifts from lobbyist employers in both our Executive Source Guide on Lobbying and Procurement Lobbying;
- Clarified whether federal PACs can contribute to state and local candidates in our Executive Source Guide on Political Contributions;
- You will see additional information regarding a corporate PAC using payroll deductions to collect contributions;
- We are now capturing social media regulations in the Grassroots section of both our Executive Source Guide on Lobbying and Procurement Lobbying; and
- You will see we make sure we have indicated when the date the page was last modified.
And, there is more. The Research Department also:
- Prepared the 2018 Guidebook so you were able to have it at the beginning of the year;
- Prepared our Tip Sheet Ethics Implications for Expenditures at National Conferences and a second Tip Sheet on Grassroots Lobbying;
- Published 549 blog posts on lobbycomply.com;
- Transitioned to a new web-based database;
- Prepared a guide on Inauguration activities in the states after the November 2017 elections;
- Added the following new municipalities to the website: Bronx County, New York; Will County, Illinois; Laredo, Texas; Columbia Missouri; Dorchester County, Maryland; Irvine, California; and Coral Gables, Florida; and
- Created from a blank piece of paper, the inaugural countries to European Compliance—Republic of Ireland; European Union; and United Kingdom.
What will they do in 2018? Stay tuned for the April edition of Compliance Now.
In the meantime, let us know if you need assistance driving around our website. We would be happy to give you a tour.
State and Federal Communications, Inc. provides research and consulting services for government relations professionals on lobbying laws, procurement lobbying laws, political contribution laws in the United States and Canada. Learn more by visiting stateandfed.com.